Sunday, February 27, 2011

20 Year Plan? What? I need one?!

So my roommate is doing a bunch of interviews for Colleges/Academic Programs etc. He's been asked some interesting questions, most of which involved him making up stuff that sounds smart because he didn't have a good answer, but that's life, eh? Anywas, the scariest question he got asked was this, “Twenty years in the future, what do you see yourself doing? Every five years how will you be one step closer to reaching that goal?” My first thought was literally, “that's not fair. I don't know.” But it got me thinking. Colleges like to get students who have goals. These are the ones that get into elite programs and are their top students who get that college's name out. The guys who sit around changing their major 3 times and then graduate after 6 years because they couldn't make up their mind are NOT the guys people want at a University.

Now, I'm not a “graduate after forever cuz I didn't get my act together” guy. I'm currently an English Writing Major Religious Studies Minor and even if that changes a bit I'll find a way to make it so that I don't graduate late. I'm graduating in 4 years, or I'm going to die trying. I'm also going to stick with the Honors Program even if its GPA requirements are not the easiest. I'm arrogant enough to believe I can do it. Brian, you are rubbing off on me, I think.

But... what will I do after that? 20 years from now I'll be 39, about 10 years younger than my parents, give or take. In other words, my kids, if I got married around the same time they did, which is reasonable, will be about 5-12 or something. My eldest would be like 11ish. So... I'm now a responsible adult with lots of important decisions to make about my family. Can't have my kids to grow up into half-starved heathen idiots, can I?

Well here's the complicated thing. Every time someone asks me, “What are you going to do with that degree,” I work it so they answer their own question. In other words, I'm not actually answering the question. In other words, I have no good answer. This isn't a “problem” per se, but its not a good thing. I need to get some solid plans down, I feel. If a college asks me, “Where do you see yourself” 20 years from now, I need to be able to say something besides, “I see myself married and … doing something cool.”

Do I have an answer? Well that’s a good question. First of all, I sorta do. I'm going to Graduate. I'm going to graduate in 4 years. Then I'm going to go do a DTS somewhere in Europe likely. A lot of DTS' are special DTS' now, Photo DTS, Arts DTS, Worship DTS. Do I want one of those? Well I love music, and I love worshiping God and such, obviously, but I'm no good with instruments, so a Worship/Music DTS is likely out. I can't sing either, before you ask. I wish I could, but I can't. So likely I'd just go do a Standard DTS. Oh, I might do a DTS in India... India or Germany seem the most likely locations. India might not be a good idea though, cuz a lot of people will know my Parents. But that might be a good thing, so who knows...

But after that... what? Work? YWAM? School? I wish I knew. I don't like the idea of working. It sounds... mundane. School might be nice, but I have a feeling I'll be pretty bored of school. YWAM could be cool, but its also a kinda scary thought. What would I DO in YWAM? What … skills do I have? I'll have an English Writing Degree. Great. I can write a paper. Great. … What now? That's what I get the feeling, its something I'll have to work out between me, God, and my Professors. We'll see how that goes.

School. I like School. I'll go back to school. Most of my family has a Master's Degree, if not higher. A lot of my friends are highly intelligent and will get PhDs at some time in the future; or at least as high of a degree as is needed in their line of work. Do I want a PhD? Haha. I can't say that now. I'm... open to the idea. It hit me, that if I really do end up pursuing Philosophy/Theology more than English Writing (not to say that I won't get an English Writing Degree. Philosophy is basically just writing papers, so why not get an English Writing Degree?!) I might end up getting a PhD in... something that involves sitting around thinking about stuff most people don't really care about but is actually of grave importanance. I've learned the pratical applications of Philosophy and I know Theology is useful, so I'd be willing to do it.

What about Work? It sounds... horrible. But I'd be up for it if it was the right thing to do for a time.

Anyways... that was a lot of well... nothing, but I guess it got some thoughts out. Bottom line: I need a 20 year plan. Suggestions?

Finally: Song of the Day



Quick note: This band is amazing and you should buy this album. It is one of the best purchases I have made in a while. The rest of the album is pretty awesome except maybe like 1-2 songs that are not very good.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your blog and survived your song! After reading your blog I thought of the verse from Jer 29:11, "For I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." God has a plan. It is amazing to think that God plans. He does.
    God never laid out a 50 year plan for Papa and I, but He did give us a few very important and significant guiding words early in our lives. I think you have already gotten one or two of those and I pray that you listen well - He speaks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You survived the song, but did you like it? Mind you, the song is good, but the lyrics are really what I like about this band. ;)

    ReplyDelete