Saturday, February 5, 2011

Insane College Night

Yesterday was amazing. I woke up at like 7AM (after going to sleep at 1AM) with a text message: “Snow day. Classes are canceled.” I had 4 classes yesterday, so I'm very happy about this. So I sleep till 11AM, get some breakfast (coffee shop was closed. No Bagel... :( I had a hamburger at the Dinning Hall instead). Then I spend the rest of the afternoon playing video games and just messing around in general. At 7 I left for my Aunt's house where we had dinner and talked and stuff till about 10PM. I bought my ticket to see Times of Grace and War of Ages (plus two random bands that I don't care about) tonight and I'm really excited about this. For those of you that don't know Times of Grace is a side project featuring Adam D. and Jesse Leach of Killswitch Engage fame. In brief, Adam D. got together some music and decided to recruit former Killswitch vocalist Jesse Leach to help him out lyrically as well as provide some rocking vocals (since Adam doesn't think he has the strongest voice out there, which I'm not sure I agree with, but whatever, Jesse is a great musician). Their album, “Hymn of a Broken Man” is really, really freaking good. First of all, Adam D. is one of the best metal guitarists from the US I've heard. He's a metalcore guy, you can tell, but he's got a good style, a real music education (went to Berklee School of Music, so yeah, he's one of those “educated” musicians). Jesse, I like Jesse because as far as I know, he's a believer and you can tell in his lyrics. Alive or Just Breathing, the Killswitch album that he helped create, has some really strong lyrics. They are not outright Christian, much less obvious than say, Demon Hunter or Thousand Foot Krutch, but he's got Christian morals down and that's always refreshing when it seems most bands really fail in the “good lyrics” department. Anyways, so I'm gonna see Times of Grace and War of Ages tonight.

Last night though, oh it was awesome. I got back and I hung out in the lounge with the people that didn't go out partying, we watched Anchorman, which was one of those... hilarious movies. It wasn't really slapsticky or over the top either, it was just darn funny. Best character was probably Steve Carrell's, he just had some amazingly well delivered lines. All of the cameos were great as well, Jack Black had the greatest cameo ever. After that it was about 3:30 and we were about to watch Collateral when someone said, “hey, IHOP anybody?” And we were all like, “IHOP at 4AM? YES!” We went and had an early breakfast of pancakes and eggs, talked about Rednecks, Hicks and Hillbilies, then went back to the dorms hung out a bit and I went to sleep at 6AM. I was awake for about 18 hours straight. So much win.

Anyways, I think, after just over a semester, I'm starting to make some real good friends here. Its take a while, but I'm getting there.

Anyways... I'm going to do something else... like... start on my reading for Monday I guess. I'll write more later, maybe when I get the chance I'll actually write up about Europa Univeralis III.

No comments:

Post a Comment